Re: Tilde causes error message: "unrecognized string, not in text script

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tilde causes error message: "unrecognized string, not in text script or \lyricmode"
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:36:52 +0200

Eyolf Østrem <address@hidden> writes:

> If I try to run the following (either directly or as part of a score):
>
> \relative c' {
> \key e \minor
> \time 4/4
>
> r4 r8 e8 e fis g4 fis fis8 fis fis e dis e ~ e4 r8
> e8 e fis g4 a a8 a a g a b~ b4 r8
> b b b b4 c c8 c c b a b~ b4 r8
> b8 b a g4  fis fis8 fis fis e dis e ~ e4 r8
> }
>
> I get the error message: "unrecognized string, not in text script or
> \lyricmode" at the tildes in the first and last line. The "e"s after the
> tildes do not get written out. The two "b~" work as expected, though,
> even though everything but the pitches is the same as in the first line.
> If I remove the tildes, everything works - except that I don't get the ties.

I suspect that either you did not copy&paste this piece of source into
your mail but rather retyped it, or that your mail reader "sanitizes"
material.

As written, this will work without problems.  However, the symptoms
sound like you might have entered a character like ̃, namely an actual
accent character combining with a previous character.  That theory gains
weight by your mail posting actually showing blank characters in the
lines you indicated.  So I suspect you had a blank there with a
following combining circumflex accent, but your mail software or your
copy&paste buffer or whatever else "sanitized" this into a blank with a
normal ASCII tilde afterwards.

In the form it is not, it is valid LilyPond code.

--
David Kastrup