Re: parallel music with selective repeats

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: parallel music with selective repeats
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:08:41 +0200

Patrick or Cynthia Karl <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a piece of music that needs to have all staves but one repeat, and
> that non-repeating staff is twice as long as the repeating.  I tried the
> following but got no joy:
>
>  \version "2.19.15"
>
> musicA = \relative b' { c d e f }
> musicB = \relative f'  { f e d c }
>
> \score {
>     <<
>         \new Staff { \musicA \musicB}
>         \new ChoirStaff
>             <<
>                 \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }
>                 \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }
>             >>
>    >>
>     \layout {}
>     \midi {}
> }
>
> The repeat bar is in all three staves, with musicB following on the first
> staff.
>
> If I add the "unfoldRepeats" command to the score, all three stave in the pdf
> are as I wish, and the midi file agrees.
>
> I have tried a couple of things to suppress the repeat bar line on the first
> staff:
>
>   * adding \bar "|" between musicA and musicB
>   * adding \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(#f) both before and after \musicA
> in the 1st staff
>   * adding \with { \remove "Volta Engraver" } to the first staff
>
> but the repeat bar is printed in the 1st staff every time.
>
> Is there a way to suppress that repeat sign?  How?

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
    \remove "Repeat_acknowledge_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff \consists "Timing_translator"
    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
    \consists "Repeat_acknowledge_engraver"

But it seems like an astonishingly bad idea.

--
David Kastrup