Re: A sign I can't understand ...

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: A sign I can't understand ...
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:59:34 +0200

>> isn't that indicating that in a second (or later) verse there are two
> syllables?
>
> Yes. Sorry ... I've been too stingy. :-)
>
> Here is a larger view:
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n167616/Simbolo_strano_2.jpg>
>
> Note that the "comma" on the right should be a breath
>
>> the notation of your image would be wrong
>
> I suppose it too; but what should be the correct way to write this "thing"?
> Sorry but when I encounter these strange situations I'm not able to find a
> reference in the manual. It seems to me to try to find a needle in an
> haystack.

You could either use temporary polyphony, possibly with making second
voice smaller

\new Staff {
  \time 2/4
  f'8 a'
  << { \voiceOne g'4 } \new CueVoice { \voiceTwo g'8 8 } >>
}

or a dashed tie

\new Staff {
  \time 2/4
  f'8 a'
  \tieDashed
  g'8 ~ 8
}

Personally i prefer the second solution, especially that it's easier
to get lyrics to work with it.

best,
Janek