Re: ties between enharmonic pitches

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ties between enharmonic pitches
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:16:42 +0200

Am 18.10.2014 14:17, schrieb David Kastrup:
Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

Hey all,

I recently stumbled across this old thread from 2002 about ties
between enharmonic pitches:

http://osdir.com/ml/gnu.lilypond.general/2002-12/msg00176.html

I am typesetting a piece where the successive chords are:

<dis ais’ cisis fis bis> ~ % (D#m maj7 #15)
<e g d’ fis b>  %(Em9)

The above is pseudocode - the actual piece is across 5 staves and voices.

I have seen the suggestion to slur the cisis and the d, but something
about that feels unsatisfactory.  However, if that is the most common
way in real scores, I will do it.  What are current opinons on this
topic? Meaning, what is considered the best way to show this and what
is the most elegant way to do that in LilyPond?
It probably only counts as "sucks less" compared to the current state,
but for what it's worth I put a patch on
<URL:https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=461>

After turning your example into workable code by writing

\relative {
   <dis ais' cisis fis bis>2 ~ % (D#m maj7 #15)
   <e g d' fis b>  %(Em9)
}

the result definitely looks ugly since the tie configuration is chosen
only based on the left chord column, making the tie close to useless
because of picking the wrong compromise of moving away from ledger lines
or whatever.

So it's clear that even under the premise "ties remain horizontal", the
submitted patch is not sufficient for doing the trick in a satisfactory
manner.

It's at best a start.

I have this problem regularly too, and I use slurs instead of ties, but with clenched teeth.

I would really love to see LilyPond automatically use a Slur for a Tie whenever two tied notes are not on the same staff line. This would apply for enharmonic situations as well as for ties across staff changes (e.g. in piano music) (or a combination of both).

I think when the two noteheads are not on the same staff line it *is* a slur - graphically. But semantically it should remain a Tie and I would like to be able entering it as such. Of course this should not interfere with another Slur already active at the same time, so maybe one would need a new grob for this?

Best
Urs