problem with grace notes at beginning of measure in simultaneous music

From: user3871075
Subject: problem with grace notes at beginning of measure in simultaneous music
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:02:51 -0600

As recommended in lilypond documentation, I separate "global" aspects of the music such as rehearsal marks, bar types, etc. into their own variable which I then typeset simultaneously with the actual notes.  However, when I do this, grace notes at the beginning of a measure sometimes appear to get assigned to the wrong measure.  For example:

\new Staff { <<
  \relative c'' {
    c1 |
    \grace b8 c1 |
  }
  {
    s1 \bar "||" |
    s1 |
  }
>> }

I can fix it by adding a grace into the lower section of music so it matches the upper section, but that doesn't work well when I want to use the same "global" variable for multiple parts, not all of which have the grace note(s).  It seems like there should be a better way.  Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks!

-Russ