Anacrusis in multiple tunes on page

From: Don Gingrich
Subject: Anacrusis in multiple tunes on page
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:47:22 +1100

It seems clear to me that I am mis-formatting something.

What I am trying to do is is to put multiple tunes on a single page
as for a "set" of tunes for a dance. The problem that I'm having is
that many of these tunes start both the "A" part and the "B" part
with an anacrusis and end the part with a shorter measure to
make the  number of beats work out.

Partial works fine for the initial anacrusis, but if the piece has multiple
parts, each with an anacrusis, the processor complains about the
subsequent \partial directives. It also doesn't much like a \partial
at the end of the section.

I've tried just leaving them out, but the programmer in me does not
like the warning messages that result.

I've noticed that I can account for the missing beats with "s" and the
missing time, but this results in unnecessary whitespace and throws
the overall note spacing out.

Is there an alternative to "s" that would allow Lilypond to account for
the missing beats without adding space that I do not want?

More or less minimal example follows -- I've left in the directive blocks
on the off chance that there's something there or missing from there
that would influence the problem.

Thanks,

-Don

\version "2.18.0"

\header {
  title = "Margaret's Waltz Set"
  % Remove default LilyPond tagline
  tagline = ##f
}

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "a4")
  indent = 0 \mm
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver"

global = {
  % \key a \major
}

chordNames = \chordmode {
  \global
  % Chords follow here.
  s4 a2.*3

}

melody = \relative c' {
  \global
  \tempo 4=50
  \repeat volta 2 {
    %barkeysig:
    \key a \major

    %bartimesig:
    \time 3/4
    \partial 4*1\mark\markup { \box A }
      cis'4
    e,4. fis8 a b                       | %1
    cis2 cis4                           | %2
    a2  s4              \bar'|.'                | %8

\score {
  <<

    \time 4/4
    \partial 4

    \new ChordNames \chordNames
    \new Staff { \melody }
    \set Score.skipBars = ##t
    #(set-accidental-style 'modern-cautionary)
    \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters %%boxed rehearsal-
marks
    %% make spanners comprise the note it end on, so that there is no doubt
that this note is included.
    \override Score.TrillSpanner #'(bound-details right padding) = #-2
    \override Score.TextSpanner #'(bound-details right padding) = #-1
    %% Lilypond's normal textspanners are too weak:
    \override Score.TextSpanner #'dash-period = #1
    \override Score.TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #0.5
    %% lilypond chordname font, like mscore jazzfont, is both far too big and
extremely ugly (address@hidden):
    \override Score.ChordName #'font-family = #'roman
    \override Score.ChordName #'font-size =#1
    %% In my experience the normal thing in printed scores is maj7 and not the
triangle. (olagunde):
    \set Score.majorSevenSymbol = \markup {maj7}

  \header {
    piece = \markup {\upright \large \bold "Margaret's Waltz AAB x 2" }
    composer = "Pat Shaw"
  }
  \layout {
    %\context {
    % \piece
    %fontSize = #3
    %}
  }
  \midi { }

}

chordNames = \chordmode {
 \global
  % Chords follow here.
  s4 a2.*2 d2. a2. s2
}

melody = \relative c'' {
  \global
  \tempo 4=50
  \time 3/4
  \key a \major

  \partial 4
  \mark\markup { \box A }
  e8( d)
  % Music follows here.
  cis4. b8 a4                                             | % 1
  a cis e                                                 | % 2
  a4. b8 a4                                               | % 15
  a2  s4 \bar "|."                                        | % 16

}

\score {
  <<
    \time 2/2
    \partial 2
    \new ChordNames \chordNames
    \new Staff { \melody }
    \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters %%boxed rehearsal-
marks
    \set Score.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
    %% make spanners comprise the note it end on, so that there is no doubt
that this note is included.
    \override Score.TrillSpanner #'(bound-details right padding) = #-2
    \override Score.TextSpanner #'(bound-details right padding) = #-1
    %% Lilypond's normal textspanners are too weak:
    \override Score.TextSpanner #'dash-period = #1
    \override Score.TextSpanner #'dash-fraction = #0.5
    %% lilypond chordname font, like mscore jazzfont, is both far too big and
extremely ugly (address@hidden):
    \override Score.ChordName #'font-family = #'roman
    \override Score.ChordName #'font-size =#1
    %% In my experience the normal thing in printed scores is maj7 and not the
triangle. (olagunde):
    \set Score.majorSevenSymbol = \markup {maj7}

  \header {
    piece = \markup {\upright \large \bold "My Home ABx2"}
  }
  \layout { }
  \midi { }