Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:56:47 -0006

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:20 AM, Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> wrote:
Abraham,

How wonderful it was to experiment with these new fonts.

In particular, I enjoyed the documentation.  It was exceptionally clear how to use them (including the 2.18 patch, though I ended up upgrading to 2.19 anyway.)  The .ily files that demonstrated the fine tuning were really helpful and pointed the way to really customizing things.  This is the first time I have felt that I can really start to control the visual aspect of Lilypond output.  I have not yet attempted to do the mixing/matching between fonts, but expect to do so at some point, as I found that I preferred different aspects of different fonts.

The single font I like best is Cadence.  While it doesn't seem to have any truly characteristic glyphs or implicit swagger, it has the best balance of glyph sizing.  In particular, the natural/flat/sharp symbol size, as compared to the note heads (large but not too large), as well as their relative size to each other (some fonts seemed to have sharps that were much bigger than flats, etc.) seemed to be what I noticed and cared about most when comparing the fonts in actual use.   Beyond that, I tended to like larger, curvier flags (Paganini, Haydn, Sorlatti)  and medium sized articulations (Beethoven, Cadence, Paganini), so once I narrowed the fonts down based on the accidentals, these other considerations led me to choose Cadence as my go-to font.  I've also found Scorlatti to be very elegant where there aren't so many accidentals.

I know that your work on the LilyJAZZ font was more about completing it, than designing it, so this comment really isn't directed towards you.  On the one hand, I really like the concept of a handwriting-style font.  But LilyJAZZ seems more like a display font, than one you would actually want to use to typeset a whole piece.

Thanks again for your amazing work.  I hope enough folks kick down some paypal love to make this worth your while!

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden
self-immolation.info
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist

Elaine,

Thank you for your very kind words and feedback. I really hope that everyone can find a font (or mix of fonts) that suits their tastes. I also hope that, above all, that the new fonts can be a compliment to the exceptional engraving that LilyPond is already known for.

Personally, I agree with your comment about LilyJAZZ. While there is a certain personality behind it, I don't think I'd use it for a large score. However, I think there are lots of people who would, so that's cool! I've got another font done that looks more like a hand-copyist style--very consistent, not extravagant or embellished like LilyJAZZ, designed for clarity. I've attached a small sample image to give you a taste of what I mean :) Any true hand-copyists out there?

And thanks to everyone for your support and excitement through all this! I'd love to see some scores to showcase them on the website, if no one is against that. Samples are always helpful to see how and why someone chose to use one font over another. And, as always, my hat is off to all those who designed Emmentaler. Excellent work!

Regards,
Abraham