Re: To many colliding ...

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: To many colliding ...
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 05:46:47 +0000 (UTC)

> From: "Dr. Bernhard Kleine" <bernhard.kleine <at> gmx.net>
> I have added a file which shows the warning. It compiles but I would like
> to know about the warning.

LilyPond complains when two voices have the same stem direction and no
indication of which note-head to shift horizontally (in the style of
Bach-era polyphony) to avoid the appearance of a chord.

If you want the appearance of a chord, then ignore the warning.
Be aware, though, that LilyPond is still interpreting your input as
two voices, which just happen to overlap in print.  If the two voices
have eighth notes, there will be two flags, which look ugly in the
same direction. (Maybe the warning could help to remind people to check
for this?)

If you want LilyPond to make a true chord, you can say <h g'>2 in one
of the two voices.

Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:
> It's due to the use of \stemUp and \stemDown commands.
> Try to code your score without using them by assigning the notes to
> correct voices.

Well, in the example the <<\\>> assigned default voices, but then
there was some reason for wanting the \stemUp or \stemDown overrides.
Using instead \voiceOne, bzw. \voiceTwo, is usually a good idea,
but in the example given an explicit \voiceTwo would ask for two voices
both in \voiceTwo and LilyPond gives a warning.

It became clear that this warning did more harm than good.  Just one
month ago, we restricted it.  Now when we explicitly ask for \stemDown
or \voiceTwo on both voices, LilyPond sets the notes in the same column
without complaint.

Phil Holmes <mail <at> philholmes.net> writes:
> GNU LilyPond 2.19.14
> Success: compilation successfully completed

Version 2.19.14 is the first 'development' (for testing) version where
this warning has been removed.