Re: midi2ly

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: midi2ly
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:38:22 +0100

> On 29 Oct 2014, at 20:13, ole <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you please describe for me where exactly I have to put the line, in the
> .profile file?

I make a script - an executable, which should be in the PATH (see below).

There are several ways to make a script:

One way is first making the text file in Terminal by
    touch midi2ly
If you want use a text editor like Xcode, go to Terminal and write
  open -a Xcode midi2ly
and paste in the line
  exec /usr/bin/arch -i386 /usr/bin/python2.7
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly "$@"
 and save.

Alternatively, make the file directly by writing
  cat > mid2ly
Paste in the same line as above followed by <control>D to end ‘cat’.

The set the executable permissions by
  chmod a+x midi2ly
Check that it is right with
  ls -l midi2ly

Then put in somewhere in the PATH. In later OS X, /usr/local/bin/ is in the
searchpath, but putting it there requires ‘sudo’ permissions (unless changed as
some running homebrew do). But to do that write
  sudo cp midi2ly /usr/local/bin/
By using ‘cp’ rather than ‘mv’, the other file metadata becomes right.

Otherwise, you might make a directory ~/bin/, make sure it is in the PATH by
changing .profile. Then ‘sudo’ isn’t needed.