Re: inputting with explicit voices

From: karl
Subject: Re: inputting with explicit voices
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:09:04 +0100 (CET)

Mark:
> When inputting code for polyphony, e.g. a fugue, using  explicit voices (<<
> \new voice { voiceOne . } \new voice { voiceTwo } >> ), the first note of
> voiceTwo is placed, octave wise, in relation to the last note set in
> voiceOne. As the last note entered in voiceOne changes octave, all of
> voiceTwo moves up or down. The only way I could find to avoid this was to
> set all of voiceOne and then set voiceTwo.
> Does an alternative exist?

%%  You are probably using something like:

score {
 \new Staff \relative f' { <<
   \new voice { f2 f4 a }
   \new voice { c2 c }
 >> }
}

%%  To break the "\relative" chain, you can write the above like:

score {
 \new Staff \relative f' { <<
   \new voice { f2 f4 a }
   \new voice \relative f' { c2 c }
 >> }
}

%%  or

score {
 \new Staff <<
   \new voice \relative f' { f2 f4 a }
   \new voice \relative f' { c2 c }

}

%%  or

a = \new voice \relative f' { f2 f4 a }
b = \new voice \relative f' { c2 c }
score {
 \new Staff <<
    \a
    \b

}

%%  a more elaborate example, giving you two ways to present
%%  the same music, would be:

% file music.ily

Lsop = \context Lyrics = Lsop \lyricmode { sop -- ra -- no }
Lalt = \context Lyrics = Lalt \lyricmode { al -- tus }

Msop = \context Voice = Vsop \relative f {
  \mus_sop
 f'2 f4 a |
}
Malt = \context Voice = Valt \relative f {
  \mus_alt
  c'2 c |
}

% file score_A.ly