Re: Where to Download the New Music Fonts?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Where to Download the New Music Fonts?
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 22:10:58 +0100

On 29 Jul 2014, at 21:16, Graham Breed <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 29/07/14 15:18, Hans Aberg wrote:
>
>> Graham Breed wrote a file for equal temperaments for an earlier version of
>> LilyPond, which I was able to tweak for the latest version (discussed on the
>> devel list). When using the currently available microtonal symbols, then
>> also key signatures seemed to work fine - a problem in the past.
>
> The latest code is here: https://bitbucket.org/x31eq/microlily
>
> I thought it was up to date.  I can take patches if it isn't.
>
>> So it seems that all one has to do in order to get decent microtonality into
>> LilyPond is to include this version of Graham’s file in the distribution and
>> add microtonal symbols so that they can be called like the ones currently
>> available.
>
> Sagittal works for accidentals as a text font.  It should work for key
> signatures as well, but I don't test that.  I didn't use a music font because
> it was too much trouble to create a music font with Sagittal. Also, it's
> possible to use strings for chained accidentals with a text font.  This would
> be important for Extended Helmholtz if anybody wired it up.

I found that LilyPond 2.19.15 already is capable of this, using the SMuFL
standard [1], and the font Bravura [2], plus the OpenLily code [3].
Specifically, I use your file regular.ly to make one E53 (53-ET), then I tweak
the file definitions.ily, by adding the SMuFL accidental names (those with
singe and double up and down arrows, in multiples of 6/53) to the definition of
the variable smufl-alteration-glyph-name-alist. Microtonal key signatures seem
to work.

The file example.ly also compiled. So it seems to be good to have this stuff
integrated into the LilyPond distribution.

1. http://www.smufl.org
2. http://www.smufl.org/fonts/
3.
https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/custom-music-fonts/smufl