Re: Dots far from beam

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Dots far from beam
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 23:37:39 -0000

Noeck wrote Saturday, November 01, 2014 11:11 PM

> why are the dots on the first two notes so far away from the beam?
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \relative c {
>  \clef bass \voiceOne
>  <es, b'>16-.[ q-.] <es f'>-.[ q-.]
> }

It's due to quantising the Y-position to avoid leger lines (even though
they are not visible.

> How can I put them closer to the beam like at the last two notes?
> Anything else than extra-offset?
>  \once \override Script.extra-offset = #'(0 . -0.8)
>
> Is this a bug?

It would be an enhancement not to quantise the position outside the
visible leger lines.

One solutions is to move the beams down slightly, and the dots then
drop down.  Another use for \offset!  I've been searching for good
examples!  Like this:

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c {
  \clef bass \voiceOne