Re: possible bug: \change Staff and beam collision

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: possible bug: \change Staff and beam collision
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 21:31:32 +0000 (UTC)

Gilberto Agostinho <gilbertohasnofb <at> gmail.com> writes:

> but when changing staff the ottava position
> gets lower (!) and collides with the beam.

LilyPond allows you to beam to any other staff, so in general that
beam might have to go up and cross the ottava bracket, while the
bracket must stay with the staff.  This is not likely with ottava
brackets but cross-staff beams and their stems sometimes need to cross
similar spanning structures.

The code is so far not sophisticated enough to look ahead to staff layout
when placing the ottava on its home staff, so assumes the cross-staff
beam might have to cross it.

Logically we should have a setting
  \override Staff.OttavaBracket.cross-staff =
    #ly:side-position-interface::calc-cross-staf
to tell Lilypond she may move the OttavaBracket along with the beam
but when I give LilyPond permission this way, she does not move the beam.

> My case is always complicated though, my main work is with algorithmically
> generated music and so I always need to either automatize a solution or
> completely forget about it and approach the problem of notation from a
> different point of view (manual tweaking isn't an option for what I do).

I have no better suggestion.  The manual tweak is simple, though,
  \once\override Staff.OttavaBracket.staff-padding = #6

and Lilypond makes it easy to put overrides in a separate expression
 <<{ s1*54 \overrideThis}
   { s1*32 s2 \overrideThat}