Vertically centering refrain lyrics?

From: Gregorio Damian Gomez
Subject: Vertically centering refrain lyrics?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:14:56 -0700

Hello, everybody:

I haven't been able to find a solution for this that works or that doesn't generate an error.

I would like the chorus lyrics to align in the middle of the verses, rather than below them. So in this case, it would end up somewhere between the two verse lines. Another option would be to have the chorus lyrics aligned with the first line of the verse lyrics.

I'm open to any solution, including restructuring, especially if it's a pattern I can reuse.

If it's something I've overlooked in the docs, please don't hesitate to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Greg

Here's my snip:

\version "2.18.2"

\layout {

indent = 0

ragged-right = ##f

}

verseMelody = \relative c'' {

a4 c4 b4 d4

}

chorusMelody = \relative c'' {

e4 d4 c4 b4

}

firstVerse = \lyricmode {

This is the first.

}

secondVerse = \lyricmode {

This is the next.

}

chorusLyrics = \lyricmode {

Here's the ref -- rain.

}

\score {

<<

\new Staff {

\context Voice = "verse" { \verseMelody }

\context Voice = "chorus" {\chorusMelody }

}

\new Lyrics = "firstVerse" {

\lyricsto "verse" \firstVerse

}