Re: absolute font size issues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: absolute font size issues
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 13:35:17 +0100 (CET)

> Well, I was about to answer, but somehow ...

:-)

> I defined some \abs-... markup commands myself

Ha!  Where are they?  I guess this would have saved me many hours of
wading through obscure LilyPond Scheme code...

> and wondered if it would be feasible to implement a "switch" –
> something like
>
>   \absoluteSizeOn
>
> or similar, to avoid the need of defining everything twice – with
> relative sizes and absolute sizes, respectively.

Having an `\abs-' prefix is easy to remember.  I would favor this more
than `\absoluteSizeOn', but I fully agree that defining everything
twice is error-prone.  What about adding a `meta macro' (or special
form, or whatever) that generates absolute and non-absolute versions?
I imagine something like

  (make-relative-absolute
    (define-markup-command (foo ...)
       ...))

to create \foo and \abs-foo.  No idea whether this is possible at all,
however.  In case it *is* possible, we should probably continue the
discussion on lilypond-devel.

    Werner