Re: Why does removing Bar_engraver also removes clef?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Why does removing Bar_engraver also removes clef?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:14:14 +0100

Am 13.11.2014 um 23:29 schrieb Gez:
I know this has been written about on the list before but the
documentation has changed since then (I've checked pretty thoroughly).

I'm looking for a way to write a load of short free-form pieces with
automatic line breaks (so candenzaOn is not useful since it requires
manual breaks).  I'd like to inhibit the Bar_engraver in all the pieces
in one book/ly file, rather than write an override in each melody.  So
far the workaround I've found uses a variable with override that I do
have to insert in each score, but at least I can use the variable for
other purposes as well.

My minimal examples here show various scenarios I tried.   If someone
can confirm that it's all working as it's supposed to, then that's good
to know, but I'd be really grateful if someone can also point me to
where the documentation explains why removing the the Bar_engraver also
removes the Clefs.

I don't think that this is documented in the docs, but in the sources:

In lily/clef-engraver.cc:

    85  /**
    86     Generate a clef at the start of a measure. (when you see a Bar,
    87     ie. a breakpoint)
    88  */
    89  void
    90  Clef_engraver::acknowledge_bar_line (Grob_info info)
    91  {
    92    Item *item = info.item ();
    93    if (item && scm_is_string (get_property ("clefGlyph")))
    94      create_clef ();
    95  }

If there is not bar line to be acknowledged, the clef will not be printed.

I don't know whether this is the desired behaviour as there are cases
where you need the clef and line breaks, but no bar lines.

HTH a bit,

Marc