Re: \parallelMusic incompatible with slur marker at beginning of measure

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: \parallelMusic incompatible with slur marker at beginning of measure?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:21:25 +0100

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 1:03 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Here both are ok; you simply omit to put any bar check: So a | (b c d) is
>> wrong, and a( | b c d) is right.
>
> So to be clear, I am asking whether the behavior we are seeing is intended
> for some reason that I haven't understood yet.   It is obviously the case
> that the behavior is as it is.
>
> From the perspective of a user who just wants to write music, there is no
> reason at all for me to think that a | (b c d) is wrong and a (b c d) is
> okay.   For instance, a | b (c d) works, and a (b | c d) works.   So it
> doesn't make any sense that a | (b c d) doesn't work.
>
> It may be that making it work is really hard because of the way bar checks
> are implemented.   If so, it may be that there is no way to make things
> consistent in the way I am suggesting they should be.   I can even see how,
> from a data structure perspective, making a | (b c d) work consistently is
> difficult.
>
> But if consistency is desired, then the fact that a | (b c d) doesn't work is
> a bug that is hard to fix, not a feature that doesn't need to be fixed.   The
> question I was asking is whether this is a feature that I just don't
> understand, but your response isn't really answering that question.
>
> If in fact a (b c d) is wrong, but just happens to work, and a( b c d) is
> right, then it would be helpful for users if a (b c d) threw an error,
> instead of working, and if a | (b c d) threw the _same_ error.

Hi Ted,

I think you should come to different point of view:
a( b c d) is as correct as a (b c d) because the starting slur is
added to the articulations of the _previous_ _note_, saying "play
legato from me".
Even:
(
)
will work.
Inputting a( b c d) is more a convention to remind oneself to this fact .

A BarCheck will only make sense after a note has been _completely_
written, i.e. including its articulation, markups, dynamics etc.
Therefore the BarCheck must be put after the starting slur.
I don't think you would expect a | -. b to work!?

An input like  a | ( b) would mean "play legato from the BarCheck"
Ofcourse nonsense and LilyPond complains.
Even the error-message:
   syntax error, unexpected EVENT_IDENTIFIER
is correct, because a BarCheck will not take any musical event.

So no issue here.

HTH,
  Harm