Re: \parallelMusic incompatible with slur marker at beginning of measure

From: Ted Lemon
Subject: Re: \parallelMusic incompatible with slur marker at beginning of measure?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:26:20 -0500

On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:21 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> An input like  a | ( b) would mean "play legato from the BarCheck"
> Ofcourse nonsense and LilyPond complains.
> Even the error-message:
>   syntax error, unexpected EVENT_IDENTIFIER
> is correct, because a BarCheck will not take any musical event.

Yes, now this makes sense.   I got some private email as well explaining what's
going on here.   The problem is that the open paren looks lisp-ish, and so I
want it to be a grouping syntax, but it's really just a marker that happens to
pair with another marker that happens to be a closing paren.   I am not in love
with this, but I see how it happened, at least.   It would be better if the
error message were something like "barcheck doesn't take an event," but at
least now I understand how we got here.   Thanks to you and Pierre (and the
private person whom I shall not name here) for walking me through this.