Re: Beaming and grace notes

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Beaming and grace notes
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 22:08:54 +0000 (UTC)

Knute Snortum <ksnortum <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I want to start a run of grace notes with a note with a normal head.

> ...but with the c' beamed to the d'.

If these notes all happen before the beat, then
 \relative c' {
   \grace { <\tweak #'font-size #0 c>32 d e f g a b } c8 }

This looks like it might be a situation where the first note is on the beat.
In these cases, even though we call them 'grace-notes' LilyPonds \grace
is not what I want to use.  I just make the notes small and grace-style
and tell LilyPond their actual (as opposed to printed) duration so she
understands how I want them to fit in the music.

\relative c' {
  c16[
  \teeny
  \override Stem  #'no-stem-extend = ##t
  \override Stem  #'length-fraction = #0.7
  d32*1/3 e f g a b]
  \normalsize
  \revert Stem  #'no-stem-extend
  \revert Stem  #'length-fraction