generating small snippets

From: Xavier Noria
Subject: generating small snippets
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:30:26 +0100

Hi!

I am taking notes of music classes in Markdown. Those notes go through a static web site generator (pandoc), and they use LilyPond textual syntax in code blocks for music notation for simple snippets (think scales, chords, arpeggios, etc.)

That works fine, but if there was a way to get minimal output from LilyPond with just the music I would be able to write a preprocessor that replaced the code with a image of the staff (only for display mode, not inline).

Is there a built-in way to generate small snippets as images?