Re: Beaming and grace notes

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Beaming and grace notes
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:28:54 -0800

I'm still working on the measure.  Keith's solution works well, but when I fit it into my structure I get a beam-slope warning.  Below is a "minimal" example, which is quite large, that prints just the one measure.  The warning is written into the code.

* Is there a way to keep this structure and get rid of the warning?
* The initial e flat in the lower staff is an eighth note, and the stem needs to extend up beyond the 32nd note beams of the grace notes.  How can I do that?

Thanks for the help so far.

%%--- Start
\version "2.19.15"
\language "english"

staffUp = \change Staff = "upper"
staffDown = \change Staff = "lower"
graceOn = {
  \teeny
  \override Stem  #'no-stem-extend = ##t
  \override Stem  #'length-fraction = #0.7
}
graceOff = {
  \normalsize
  \revert Stem  #'no-stem-extend
  \revert Stem  #'length-fraction
}

global = {
  \key bf \minor
  \time 2/4
}

upperStaffTop = \relative c'' {
  \clef bass
  s2
}

upperStaffBottom = \relative c' {
}

lowerStaffTop = \relative c' {
  \clef bass
  \staffUp \stemDown af32 [ ( bf af gf \staffDown \stemNeutral
  <<
    {
      \voiceTwo \stemUp ef8 ) ] ~ ef4
    }
    \new Voice {
      \voiceOne
      \scaleDurations 4/14 {
        \staffDown
        ef32 [ \( % warning: no viable initial configuration found:
                  % may not find good beam slope
        \graceOn gf af bf df \staffUp \stemDown \clef treble ef gf af bf df ]
        \stemUp ef gf af bf \graceOff
      }
      \stemNeutral df16^> ( [ bf ] ) \) r8

lowerStaffBottom = \relative c {
  bf2
}

%%
%% Below is boilerplate
%%

upperStaff = {
  \clef treble
  \global
  <<
    \new Voice { \voiceOne \upperStaffTop }
    \new Voice { \voiceTwo \upperStaffBottom }

}

lowerStaff = {
  \clef bass
  \global
  <<
    \new Voice { \voiceThree \lowerStaffTop }
    \new Voice { \voiceFour \lowerStaffBottom }

}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "upper" \upperStaff