Re: How to apply \staccato to a single note in a chord?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to apply \staccato to a single note in a chord?
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 13:03:07 +0100

Am 02.12.2014 12:52, schrieb Ian Mackinnon:
I'm trying to represent a harp technique where two
adjacent notes are struck at the same time and the
lower of the two is immediately dampened.

I tried to create a chord with only the first (lower)
note marked as staccato, but the output showed
the staccato dot over the second, higher note
(indicating, I assume, that both should be played
staccato):

<bes \staccato c>  % dot shows over c.

Is there any way to show a staccato dot just over
the B flat while still having the C share the
same stem?

Is the attached output what you want?
It was achieved by writing

\once \override Script.X-offset = -0.5

You have to know that what you describe just is no regular notation (I can't imagine differently articulated notes in a chord at all), so you have to expect a slightly irregular solution.

overridinng Y-offset too you can also shift the dot vertically.
Alternatively you can experiment with

\once \override Script.extra-offset = #'(-1.2 . -0.2)

But please note that all of these tweaks are quite specific and won't necessarily behave well when the layout changes (e.g. beaming direction).

HTH
Urs