Re: Fortran library for generating LilyPond code

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Fortran library for generating LilyPond code
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 13:50:15 -0700 (MST)

Hello all,

I just would like to make one more little comment about this post of mine:
after reading an e-mail sent by one user asking me what's the big deal with
this library of mine and why do I use Fortran instead of typing these scores
of mine directly in LilyPond, I realized that I may have been very unclear
about my compositional method.

All these scores are generated algorithmically, that is, I did not chose any
of the notes or durations or dynamics individually. I "simply" write a
Fortran code which contain all the structure of the piece and how it should
be randomly filled with notes by the computer (that is, which rules it has
to follow). The result is a score that is 100% precise within the rules I
propose, and which took millions of calculations to be created (thus not
being possible to be created by hand: one can throw a coin only so fast).
Furthermore, my approach is to create generative acoustic music, meaning
that every time you run my programs a new version of a same work is
generated, different than any other version any one has. So I always ask the
performers of my work to play a version only in a single concert before
discarding it and generating a new one.

So that is the main reason why I go through the troubles of writing and
using these Fortran codes, and indeed there would be little point in using
this library of mine if you are simply trying to engrave something. Unless
you can algorithmically generate something, then there would be very little
use for it.

Best,
Gilberto