Re: Displaying add9

From: Jan Kohnert
Subject: Re: Displaying add9
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 11:38:53 +0100

Hi there,

thanks again, I'll give it a try. :)

Am Freitag, 5. Dezember 2014, 13:36:57 schrieben Sie:
> I think you are confusing the printed chord names with the lilypond chord
> representations.

And no, I'm not confusing the two, I just don't give a <CENSORED> on the
Lilypond internal chord representation. And there's reason for that:

I think, nearly noone ever uses \chordmode input for really printing chords
with notes, but nearly everyone uses it to just print chord-names, for example
in leadsheets. And we surely agree, Lilyponds main purpose is to generate
beautiful looking sheets of music.

With Lily 2.18 "c1:9" and "c1:9^7" are printed the same way, noone of the
readers of my leadsheet knows of my input. That's why I said, the two chord
are "made the same". Up until 2.16 (and I think from version 1.4, with which I
started using the tool), the chords were printed differently.

I also know, one of Lilypond's great advantages is to let the user quite
easily change defaults, so if I don't like "C9"/"Cadd9", but rather
"C7/9"/"C9", or whatever else, I'm able to change that to whatever I want. But
it is a bug (or regression) to print different chords the same way by default,
there should be a difference.

The proposed solution is, to change the defaults to get at least different
chord names printed, and that one is a workaround: I have a lot of sheets
using those "jazzish" chords (augmented, diminished, half-diminished, 9, 11,
13, whatever), and I don't want to change every of my input files (and in
there every chord not beeing "normal" like, C, G, etc.) just to get the same
behavior in the output-pdf as with Lilypond 2.16 (or a least different chord
names for different chords).

I hope I could make myself clearer now.

PS: Could you please stop sending me a copy? I do not get the list mails in
that case, so the thread is destroyed now. And I'm reading the list. Thanks!

--
MfG Jan