Re: How to position a markup on top of the system?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: How to position a markup on top of the system?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:11:32 -0600

Hi Wim,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Wim van Dommelen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I’m trying to position an arrow on the system, please see the added .PNG for what the composer originally wrote down on paper.

Changing the Y-offset moves the object but it keeps on flipping on top or below the system lines. I want on to be just there, as an overlay.

The reason this happens is that TextScript grobs are outside-staff objects.  You can change this, and get the result you want like so:

 \once \override TextScript.outside-staff-priority = ##f

\once \override TextScript.Y-offset = #-2

Note that Y-offset is reckoned from the middle line of the staff,   A value of 0 would have your arrow directly atop this line.

Hope this helps,

David

P.S.  A less satisfactory solution would be to override extra-offset.  But then any layout changes could require adjustment.