Re: Trying to replicate an obscure pedal marking from a ~1919 score...

From: Ted Lemon
Subject: Re: Trying to replicate an obscure pedal marking from a ~1919 score...
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:16:21 -0500

On Dec 22, 2014, at 10:04 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
> I always thought the traditional "Ped." looked a bit like an elephant...

Heh!  Yes, I can see that.   Or perhaps like a Snuffleupagus, if that reference
makes any sense to you.

> Anyway, yes, Kieren's right.  You can replace the drawing with whatever you'd
> like.  You'd simply need to come up with a replacement stencil function.
> There will be a bit of complication for markings that stretch across system
> breaks, but that's also doable.

In this particular piece they do not, although the vertical tics on either and
do actually adjust relative to the music on the staff, similarly to slurs.

> Maybe later today I'll get a chance to work something out--something similar
> to get you started.

If you happen to have time I would be interested and grateful, but please don't
let my obscure inquiry sidetrack you if you have better things to do this
afternoon!   :)