Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 08:38:18 +0100

On 12/22/2014 04:36 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> I can understand your frustration.
> I think that LilyPond team's choices are sometimes a bit
> "conservative".
>
> Q&A websites are just way better than a traditional mailing list.
> Period.

My 2¢: Nothing is stopping anyone from asking and answering questions on
StackOverflow.  However, effective answers come from critical mass of
the knowledgeable user community, and right now that critical mass is
here.  If enough people start using StackOverflow, then the critical
mass will be there... and likely this list will wither.

Actually I did not intend to promote StackOverflow in particular, just that kind of software.
I agree with you: anyone should feel free to help wherever he feels like. But I remember that in old discussions on this topic the general idea, shared by most of people in this list, was: "we should not split the community and the help resources in two different places".

Personally, I *like* the mailing list, because I scan the discussion
going by, even when it’s not currently relevant to me, and often
something rings a bell later when I need it.  If everyone who thinks SO
is better uses it... then eventually, it’ll become the place to go.
Democracy in action, or something.

You can subscribe to the lilypond tag and get notifications when someone posts a question tagged with lilypond:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/lilypond

I'll explore more SO in the coming weeks.