Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum

From: Mike Kilmer
Subject: Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:04:11 -0600

To save other ignorant folks like me the trouble:

Scores of Beauty is the lilypond blog at http://lilypondblog.org/
Scheme is a programming language used by lilypond: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/extending/scheme-tutorial

I wonder if http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page would be a good format for developing a “book”.

Happiness to all.

On Dec 23, 2014, at 5:29 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 23. Dezember 2014 12:07:52 MEZ, schrieb Peter Gentry <address@hidden>:
There are two strands in this.

1. Questions related to the use of LilyPond.

2. Questions related to the use of Scheme etc coding for tweaking
LilyPond.

The first is best served by the lilypond-user community.

The second is dealt with to some extent in the "Scores of Beauty" but
only goes so far.

I'd even say there are only tiny appetizers on our blog.

Information in the strange world of Scheme
is rather patchy and usually assumes a high level of familiarity with
the terms used. The list concept for instance and control of
memory not to mention smobs. In these areas on line forums such as
Stackoverflow provide a useful resource.

It is arguable that (for example) the LilyPond interfaces ly:etc could
be better explained.

I also think that there should be much more information available,especially introductory gently-paced tutorials. I see three steps here,and as they are not fulky explained in a coherent manner it's extremely difficult to get somewhere:

- Scheme in itself is difficult to grasp
- it's even more complicated as there are so many dialects around. Solutions found on the net don't necessarily apply to Guile/LilyPond
- Hiw Scheme gets Information out of LilyPond  (the ly: aspect) is another big step.

What would be needed IMO was a "book" like the Learning Manual that covers all if this. But of course: who should write this???
One *possible* approach could be to conceive tutorials as chapters of such a book. So people coukd contribute a comparably small section without having to tackle a complete book.
But that would require that a number of those who are able (and I don't count ne in here) commit themselves at least somewhat.

I am well aware that skilled programmers, clear thinking logicians and
pedantic musicologists have little patience with blunderings
of mere mortals - although a few show remarkable forebearance.

If Lily use is to prosper and expand surely detailed information on the
structure and philosophy of the code would benefit all.

+1

Urs

It goes without saying that LilyPond is one of the finest examples of
open source collaboaration and is without equal in its genre.

No harm in wanting the best to get better.

Festive feliciatations to Lily folk everywhere.

regards
Peter Gentry