Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:58:58 +0100

Am 22.12.2014 um 22:26 schrieb Garrett Fitzgerald:
> It's actually been discussed on meta - consensus is that people should
> actually come over here for help. :-)
>
> http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/168297/on-which-site-are-lilypond-questions-on-topic

... or here http://osdir.com/ml/lilypond-user-gnu/2012-11/msg00025.html
I brought up the same idea as the OP about 2 years ago – I was not the
first one.

(This was the first link I found (osdir.com), but there are (too) many
places to find mails: lists.gnu.org, nabble.com, gmane.org,
mail-archive.com, … which most often do not present the thread on one page.)

As Urs already put it, this was the reaction:

>     - only parts of what is discussed here is suitable for SO
>     - our community is too small to be split up between different forums

and I was fine with that. I understand the conservative approach because
this mailing list is really good and should not be put in danger. But
since then I got an even bigger fan of Q&A sites and the feature of
receiving mails on the Lilypond tag my personal main advantage of a
mailing list.

I would now say: Whoever wants to ask on such a site and whoever wants
to answer there should not be discouraged and time will tell, whether
that works and whether it makes sense to have this parallel structure
(Q&A + mailing list). We already have language-specific forums and other
resources and this support list did not break down.

My main point is still: You have the question and the answer together
with a rating whether that was helpful on the same page – easily
findable by search engines.

tl;dr: Why not try it out.

Cheers,
Joram