Re: Coda ahead of a line of its own

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Coda ahead of a line of its own
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:28:58 +0100

Hi Federico,

> I don't understand why coda sign and fine sign are in first alternative. I'd expect to see them at the end.

The \repeat function needs to know two things:
  (1) where to put the various visual bits; and
  (2) how to unfold the repeats if the part (or midi) is being written out.

In the example you linked to (page 23, first score), we have structurally

  { 1m } { § + 3m + ’to Coda ø’ } { 2m + ‘D.S. al coda’ + || } { 'ø coda’ + 2m + .| }

where § is the standard D.S. symbol, ø is the standard coda symbol, ‘m’ stands for measures of music, and the other symbols are the various barlines.

So the suggested repeat structure would be

  \repeat segnocoda { 1m } \alternatives { { 3m } { 2m } { 2m } }

which is essentially exactly what David K has on the issue page.

Does that make sense now?
If not, please ask a specific question, as I’m not clear on what you don’t understand.
If it *does* make sense to you, but you think it’s an inferior solution, please point out why and suggest an alternative which in your opinion solves the problem(s).

Yes, it's more clear, thanks.