Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum

From: Ted Lemon
Subject: Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 13:22:25 -0500

On Dec 24, 2014, at 12:52 PM, Paul Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wonder... Why are there so many different archives of the lilypond mailing
> list?  Would there be a way to prevent some of them from showing up in
> google search results? (e.g. by having them indicate "no index" in
> robots.txt)

Attracting search clicks is a money-making proposition, particularly if it's
cheap, so putting up an archive of a mailing list is an easy way to do that.
There has to be content that will match searches in order for it to be
worthwhile.   You see the same thing with phpBB sites--there will be a dozen
archives of any reasonably popular site, all just clickbait.   So far
StackOverflow seems to be policing this to the extent that it apparently
doesn't happen with them.

> FWIW, I sometimes try a general search (DuckDuckGo), but just as often I'll
> start with the manuals (usually doing a single-page search on the index page
> of the notation manual), then I'll search either the LSR or the mailing list
> using the nabble interface ( http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/ ).
> ...and then ask on the mailing list if I get stuck.

The manuals are great as far as they go, but they aren't comprehensive, nor are
they systematic.   To the extent that I'm any good at typesetting manuscripts
with Lilypond, it's a result of reading the manual, beating my head against
some weird behavior, occasionally asking questions, and iterating.

E.g., unless I have just missed some valuable resource, there is no systematic
document about what can appear between the braces in any of \layout, \staff,
\score, \book, etc.   The information is in many cases _there_, but it's
organized in such a way that it's a bit of a treasure hunt trying to find it.