Re: Coda ahead of a line of its own

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Coda ahead of a line of its own
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 21:38:27 -0500

Hi,

> I believe that this understates the amount of complexity of how large-scale
> repeats are used in practice.

Repeat structures can certainly be complex.

> I am wondering how these could be implemented using the suggested functional
> syntax.

If we’re serious about implementing a simple(r) mechanism/function, we should
discuss each scenario which is reasonably likely to crop up, and try to design
a solution which addresses as many as possible in as elegant a way as possible.

> I often wonder why we can't have and manipulate object versions of scores,
> staves, books, etc.

That would certainly be great!

> Here is how it would look using modern object.property and
> object.method(argumentList) syntax

Wow… and I thought it was hard *now* to convince my non-programmer friends and
colleagues to try Lilypond.  ;)

> Even if a \repeat coda command existed, there would probably need to be a way
> to tweak all these relevant variables/properties related to layout of the
> coda. There are perhaps a score's worth of parameters to handle. So, creating
> a new score (whether explicitly or through syntactic sugar) to manipulate the
> coda is probably a reasonable approach anyway.

Your conclusion doesn’t follow logically from the premise (which I agree with,
by the way).

If defaults are set up well, and there is syntactic sugar to make wholesale
adjustments (e.g., \set Score.codaStyle = #’… could switch between non-broken,
inline-broken, and newline-broken codas), the effort required would be far less
than the effort required to create a new score, knit back together the parts,
midi, etc. On a smaller scale, the current \repeat varieties have dozens (maybe
hundreds?) of parameters/properties that can be set — but it’s clearly easier
to use \repeat volta 2 { … } than to try and build all the relevant bits by
hand.

Cheers,
Kieren.

p.s. **Please** don’t quote an entire day’s digest in a post — it’s
unnecessary, wasteful, and irritating to many readers.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>
email:  address@hidden