Gregorian chant input in LilyPond

From: Noeck
Subject: Gregorian chant input in LilyPond
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 22:24:39 +0100

Hi,

while comparing gabc [1] and LilyPond [2] syntax for Gregorian chant
music, I wondered whether LilyPond could profit from the simplicity of
gabc. I see at least two options:

a) A conversion of the respective syntax
Something like gabc2ly. It could be used as a standalone tool on the
commandline or perhaps used to translate a selected part of the file in
Frescobaldi.

b) A new input mode
It could be called \gregorianmode and do the same translation within
LilyPond directly. This would be much nicer as the gabc-style source
could be edited and would not be gone in the one-way street of the
conversion.

Has anyone tried anything similar? Was that discussed before?
Is it a bad idea? If not, I could try (a) – option (b) is certainly out
of my reach.

Cheers,
Joram

[1]: http://home.gna.org/gregorio/gabc/