Re: Gregorian chant input in LilyPond

From: Jakub Pavlík
Subject: Re: Gregorian chant input in LilyPond
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:56:28 +0100

Conversion between gregorio and lilypond is a relevant topic for me too.
Some time ago I started working on it - https://github.com/igneus/lygre - and for now there is grely, a Ruby script translating gabc to simple lilypond (simplified modern notation, not the quadratic notation also supported by lilypond).

Now I see the installation instructions on github are outdated. I will try to update them ASAP. The lygre package is now available as a Ruby gem, which is more convenient to install and use.

I'm not sure if grely as it is now would be of any use for you, Joram. If you have any wishes what more it could do, feel free to express them. In the future I might get back to grely and implement some of them.
Crash- and bug-reports are also welcome.

Some kind of lilypond to gabc translator is also planned, because I have a huge corpus of chants written in Lilypond that I would eventually like to be able to convert to gabc.

Regards,
Jakub

Dear Br. Samuel,

thanks for your thoughts in reply to my mail!

Am 27.12.2014 um 23:48 schrieb Br. Samuel Springuel:
> The biggest issue for this would be the fact that gabc and lilypond
> notation approach representing music from two different view points.

I know that, but it does not seem such a big issue to me: The gabc input
should contain a clef (c2 or f3 etc.) and this would fix the relation
between the two representations, wouldn’t it. (This implies that there
is no general conversion of a-m (gabc) to a-g (LP) but a clef-dependent
one).
This way I would end up with a definition which note (a-m) is a do and
so on. However, it would not mean that the la is 400 Hz. But this latter
issue can not be solved in a general way. Or do I still have a
misconception here?

I would even see that difference as a gain, because the key independent
input of gabc seems convenient to me (for chant notation) and the LP
representation could be still used in a normal staff and could be
transposed. So it would combine the best of two approaches.

In fact, I am a bit more concerned about the spacing. In gabc, one can
set the spacing within a neume and I don’t know how to do that in LP and
gregorio cares less about the timing than LP.

> I suspect that not everyone would be satisfied with any particular solution.

That might be true and perhaps my reasoning above is too naive. Please
correct me then.

Cheers,
Joram