Re: fastest, easiest way of including fret diagram markups above music?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: fastest, easiest way of including fret diagram markups above music?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 09:45:42 +0100

Thank you for the welcome and reply. I want to include every fret diagram at every chord change, the kids simply do better reading a long when they can see the actual Fret diagram marked up above the music at every change vs having to look above on their sheet for the predefined diagram on top of the sheet.

This is what you want? I just added a Staff to previous example. You don't need \fret-diagram if you use the predefined chords.

\version "2.18.2"
\include "predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly"

mychords = \chordmode { c g f c }
<<
  \new ChordNames { \mychords }
  \new FretBoards { \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning \mychords }
  \new Staff \mychords

Basically, I found the long \fret-diagram string after \markup string works well, but is very long and tedious to write for every chord change. Is there a shortened abbreviated string of the \fret-diagram command that will utilize the built in predefined fret diagrams and make my writing a little easier and faster?

And if you need custom fret diagrams, I would use this method:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fretted-strings#automatic-fret-diagrams

The example in the doc repeats the same music in two variables, one for FretBoards and one for Staff.. which is not handy.. I don't know what the cons may be but at least that example look the same if written this way:

\version "2.18.2"

myChords = {
  <f, c f a c' f'>1
  <g,\6 b, d g b g'>1