Re: Ego autem non intellego gregorian.ly (translatum googlum)

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Ego autem non intellego gregorian.ly (translatum googlum)
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 02:11:14 +0100

Hi again François,

there two limiting factors to my answer: 1) I did not write many
gregorian chants and 2) Lilypond has some limitations in this area.

But there are a few things I know how to improve and I have a few
questions for you:

Is it a convention in gregorian chants to have the hyphens left aligned
to the previous syllable (output: Ro-  ra-  te) and not centered like it
is usually done in LilyPond (output: Ro - ra - te)? Or is it just a
shortcoming of many programs that they can not handle lyric hyphens in
such a way? In the example below, I used the LilyPond default way to
separate syllables: Ro -- ra -- te (output: Ro - ra - te).

> I am not happy with the first b-flat (too close to the flexus),

I don’t know any systematic help. The override fixes it in this case.

> the episema (too close to the flexa, maybe the ictus, too far from note.

Again, an override can move it.

> And about usage:
> in the sanctus example mentionned above, the hyphens are simple and
> lily interprets them as: "jump to the next neuma"
> In my example it seems to be a "wait to the next note" but the hyphens
> I had to insert are colliding with the text.

The hyphens you used are just text as any other text so you could also
space the notes with A’s or .’s – what you want is to skip a note using
a _ in your file (see the example below).

\version "2.18.2"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##t
}

\include "gregorian.ly"
\score {
  <<
    \new VaticanaVoice = "cantus" {
      \override Lyrics.LyricHyphen #'minimum-X-extent = #'( 2 . 2)
      \clef "vaticana-do3"
      \[ g \pes a \]
      \once\override Script.extra-offset = #'(0 . 0.9)
      a\ictus
      d' c'
      \[ c'
      \once\override Accidental.extra-offset = #'(-0.3 . 0)
      \flexa  bes \]
      \once \override Episema.extra-offset = #'(0 . 0.2)
      \[ a \episemInitium \flexa g \episemFinis \]
      \divisioMaior
      s a bes a
      \[ g \flexa f \] e
      \[ f \flexa e \] \augmentum d
      \finalis
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "cantus" {
      %% Use the next line to force hyphens:
      \override Lyrics.LyricHyphen #'minimum-distance = 0.7
      Ro -- ra -- _ te coe -- li de -- _ su -- per _
      et nu -- bes plu -- _ ant Jus -- _ tum.

Joram