Re: Rallentando and accelerando in MIDI

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Rallentando and accelerando in MIDI
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 15:30:19 +0000

On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 20:57 +1100, Peter Chubb wrote:

> David> Which brings me back now to my other question: how do I get
> David> midi (specifically, the articulate.ly script) to recognize my
> David> rits and ralls?  I have tried entering them with \tempo, with
> David> \mark and just as markup, but nothing seems to work.
>
> This used to work, but it's possible that changes in Lily have made it
> stop working.
>
> Last time it worked, \tempo "rit" wasn't available, so the syntax was:
>
>      a^"rit."
>
> or similar.
>
> --
> Dr Peter Chubb                                        peter.chubb AT
> nicta.com.au

Yes, thank you, this worked.

Or rather, it didn't work!  What it revealed is that articulate.ly does
not do ralls and accels at all: what it does instead is sudden
reductions/increases in tempo.

However, having realised that, I have now found an alternative.  I have
effectively disabled the rall and accel recognition in articulate.ly,
and have added an extra "stave" to my file.  This contains nothing but
rests and tempo markings, and is only referenced in the 'midi' block.  I
have found that I can produce very effective ralls, accels, pauses etc.
in this way (using repeated adjustments to the tempo).  Meanwhile the
visible markings in the score do not affect the midi output.

Thanks to all for your help.

David