Re: Alternative fonts glyph support

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Alternative fonts glyph support
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 21:34:29 +0100

Am 02.01.2015 um 21:21 schrieb tisimst:
Urs Liska wrote
Am 02.01.2015 um 20:35 schrieb tisimst:
No complaints? That's not a problem.

Maybe this is because nobody (who noticed the post) really understands
the implications?

Urs

That's fair.

The implication is this: If you need to use more than the standard glyph set
(e.g., the common noteheads, clefs, articulations, time signature numerals,
accidentals, etc.) then you may have to use Emmentaler instead of, say,
Haydn, or at least a mixture of the two. The biggest examples of this are
the shape-note noteheads and ancient chant glyphs (i.e., petrucci, kievan,
etc.).

Does that make more sense?

Do I get this right:
- Currently you create new fonts that contain the same set of glyphs as
  Emmentaler, but with quite a number of original Emmentaler glyphs.
- You suggest to strip these literal copies from the alternative fonts
  to avoid redundancy.
?

Hm ...
If these assumptions are correct then I think I'd prefer redundancy in this case because otherwise you'd encounter problems that are hard to understand when LilyPond doesn't seem to print all glyphs anymore. Maybe it would be a good idea to produce glyph tables for the fonts that clearly state which glyphs are Emmentaler copies, but basically I'd prefer complete fonts. Except you could come up with a way to let LilyPond select Emmentaler glyphs as fallback when a glyph is missing from the selected font. That would be a clean solution IMO.

HTH
Urs

-Abraham