Re: Alternative fonts glyph support

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Alternative fonts glyph support
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 00:27:52 +0100

Am 02.01.2015 um 23:42 schrieb Noeck:

Am 02.01.2015 um 20:35 schrieb tisimst:
tisimst wrote
That being said, if no one complains too loudly, I think I may remove
support for them. What think ye all?
No complaints? That's not a problem. I guess I'll think about it a little
more before proceeding...
Dear Abraham,

I didn’t want to complain before I understand your point correctly. To
understand it, I wanted to test your fonts how they behave when using
such symbols. As I had no time up to now, I just ask my questions, even
if I could have found out myself.

Could you please clarify, if I understood you correctly?

1. The current situation is:
a) If I use a font which has no gregorian chant glyphs, the
corresponding Emmentaler glyphs are in that font and they are used. Is
that right?

b) If it comprises those glyphs, they are used (Profondo), right?

2. You want:
a) Writing greg. chant with such a font that does not support it, is not
possible anymore. I could however switch to another font for just this
context or even a single symbol if I want that (e.g. engrave a
VaticanaStaff using Emmentaler and a Staff in the same score using Haydn
or I could put a Profondo special symbol in a score that uses Beethoven
which does not support this symbol.)

b) More exotic glyphs that are present in a font are still available
(e.g. greg. chant is still possible with Profondo)?

If that is the case, I would prefer complete fonts that can do anything
LilyPond can do. But I could also live with that change, given that I
can work around this by using different fonts in the same score.

Is it possible to implement some kind of cascade in LilyPond: That it
uses the chosen font (e.g. Haydn) and if a symbol is not available it
has a fallback to Emmentaler which contains all symbols. That way the
font would not need to provide the fallback but LP itself.

Cheers,
Joram

I have the impression that Joram didn't read my last post before writing his but essentially wrote exactly the same as I did.
If that's true I think that should  be quite telling, isn't it?

Urs