Re: Changing vertical spacing in a column

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Changing vertical spacing in a column
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 20:22:18 +0100

> Before the start of the first staff system, I have the name of each
> instrument opposite the appropriate stave.  The names are long, so I
> have arranged them vertically, e.g.:
>
> \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup {
>         \center-column { "Soprano" "Saxophone" \line { "in B" \flat }
>         }
>
> This is fine, but I need the lines of text to be closer to each other.
>
> The only way of doing this I can find is by altering baseline-skip, but
> I am afraid that my newbiness is letting me down here: I simply cannot
> work out how to change this setting.  I have tried all sorts of
> permutations and varieties of syntax, but so far without success.
>
> What is the correct syntax to change baseline-skip (and other such
> variables)?
>
> And is there a better way of altering the spacing of these lines of
> text?
>
> David

Som epossibilities:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    %% for all Staves
    %% currently making baseline-skip larger
    %% applied in Staff = "1"
    %% in Staff = "2" it's overridden by the override included in \with
    \override InstrumentName.baseline-skip = #5

instr-mrkp =
  \markup {
    \center-column {
      "Soprano" "Saxophone" \line { "in B" \flat }

\new Staff = "1"
  \with {
    instrumentName = \markup \instr-mrkp
  }
  \relative c' { c' }

\new Staff = "2"
  \with {
    \override InstrumentName.baseline-skip = #1.5
    instrumentName = \markup \instr-mrkp
  }
  \relative c' { c' }

%% toplevel-markup-override: