Re: box around notes

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: box around notes
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 07:58:01 -0600

Hi Marc,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:43 PM, MarcM <address@hidden> wrote:
i tried examples in this old post but none of them compile in 2.19.15.

[Visible at Nabble link at bottom of message]

Yes, there have been a lot of changes to LilyPond internals since that was written.

I created a sample example.

Is it possible to set the box to wrap around the notes without having to set
the dimensions?

The thread referenced points out that you can write a function for NoteColumn.stencil.  However, this will only encompass noteheads and stems.  To account for the fingering numbers I think you would need to go the way of the custom grob.  (Which, so you know, is not "orthodox" Lily-practice.)

(The NoteColumn.stencil route would handle the vertical aspect of your particular example, at least.)

How can we move the notes so the box does not overlap with the repeat sign
in the second example?

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n170210/Screen_Shot_2015-01-07_at_8.png>

Here you can change the horizontal extent of the barline:

 \once \override Score.BarLine.X-extent = #'(-1 . 3)

Hope this helps,
David