Re: Information about Parts

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: Information about Parts
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 16:26:06 -0500

HI Matt,

Welcome to Lilyponding. Your missive reads as though you can wrap your
head around things well enough. Sometimes it is dangerous to think
about things in terms of Finale methods. Of course parts can be
extracted. In this case, parts are a thing of formal structure. My
advice to proceed, and others might have other ways of thinking about
it and accomplishing the same goals, is this: you may write out each
individual part in its own file and use an include command in another
file that contains the total score structure for the piece in
question. Or you can simply enter in the entire part in the whole
score and then cut and paste it into its own part after you are down
constructing the full score. Either way is possible. I prefer the
first as it makes the complications of a multiple part score seem less
obnoxious. Anyway, it is also important not to confuse parts with
voices. The documentation is your friend. Please note what version you
are running as many of us use a variety of versions depending on how
comfortable we are with upgrading beyond the Operating systems default
version of the moment. In any event there are many templates to learn
from and the application Frescobaldi is very valuable for helping to
learn large scale structures.

best of luck,
Shane Brandes