Re: Slurs in volta alternate bars

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Slurs in volta alternate bars
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 11:38:13 -0700 (MST)

Knute Snortum wrote
> Great ideas, guys.  Thanks.
>
> I have a question about tweaking the X-extent.  My understanding is that
> the pair (0 . 5) means start where you normally would and extend out five
> spaces (or note heads, the units don't matter to me).  But when I do this:
>
>   { df4) r f' -\tweak X-extent #'(0 . 5) \laissezVibrer }
>
> ...the Laissez Vibrer slur shape doesn't stretch.  The slur takes up more
> space (and pushes the repeat sign to the right) but the slur shape stays
> the same.  Do I need to use the \shape command or am I misunderstanding
> the
> X-extent property?
>

> Knute Snortum

Knute,

Yes, I think there is just a misunderstanding. X-extent or Y-extent are used
to tell the layout algorithm how large a grob is in the respective
directions, HOWEVER /it doesn't actually change the size of the grob
itself/. It's a way to cleverly giving the grob more space than it has be
default. I think you should probably just use \shape here to change the
size/shape of the laissezVibrer tie.

-Abraham