Digue (new score setup assistant)

From: Anton Curl
Subject: Digue (new score setup assistant)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:19:30 +0100

Hi everyone!

I often need to write scores with parts and I wasn't satisfied with Frescobaldi's new score setup assistant.

So I've begone to write my own wizard in python3. I share it with you, because it seems to interest some people.

The GUI is similar to Frescobaldi's but multiple files are created:
- Score.ly contains the full score.
- Each file in Parts/ contains the score bloc for one instrument. PDF files are generated in the PDF/ folder and MIDI files in the MIDI/ folder (using make parts command).
- The Notes/ directory contains the files to edit to fill the score.

There is also a global variable (not exactly like Frescobaldi's), score and part tags, some parameters for instruments...

I enclosed an example of a typical generated directory.

It's usable for me but it's still incomplete:
- only tested on GNU/Linux (it should work on Windows and MacOSX, but I'm not sure how and can't test it)
- no internationalization
- only few predefined instruments implemented
- no Makefile for non-UNIX systems (but you can still run lilypond by yourself)

Installing on Ubuntu >= 12.10
First you need pip3, python3-setuptools and python3-tk. It will be also easier to have make to create the PDF:
sudo apt-get install python3-pip python3-setuptools python3-tk build-essential
Then:
sudo pip3 install digue
(If you want to uninstall it: sudo pip3 uninstall digue)
That's all. After that you can use the command digue to run the program.

Once your project is created, you can create Score.pdf from Score.ly, or by using make command. You also can use make parts command to generate the parts.

I still have some features to implement, but I don't know if I'll be able to continue it more than I need. If you want to complete it, or to take the idea in order to write something better, feel free to do it.

I'll soon upload the code on Github.

If you're not developer and want a supplementary feature, you can request it, but I can't guarantee I will have time to implement it.

Happy new year!

Anton Curl