Re: snippet throws programming errors (Jim Long) 53

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: snippet throws programming errors (Jim Long) 53
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 06:44:46 +0000 (UTC)

Cynthia Karl <pckarl <at> mac.com> writes:

> IMO, the problem is that my simple snippet causes LilyPond to declare that
> programing errors have occurred.  Programming errors are a serious
> problem.  Programming errors are only
> solved by correcting the program, not by avoiding them by modifying the
> input to the program.

This is, of course, the cue for the rest of us to say :
"You've been using LilyPond longer than me; why haven't you yet corrected
 this serious problem !? "

>  You are
> suggesting that LilyPond is incapable of diagnosing a simple syntax
> error in its input.

LilyPond is very accepting of varied syntax, makes up the missing parts,
and in this case creates situations that other of its various spare-time
programmers thought could only indicate an error.