Re: Attaching an alist to a grob

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Attaching an alist to a grob
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:41:46 +0100

Hi Paul,

thanks for that.
Will have to try that out later today, but indeed it looks exactly like what I'm looking for.
I think I can soon give back the results :-)

Best
Urs

Am 13. Januar 2015 20:45:31 MEZ, schrieb Paul Morris <address@hidden>:
Urs Liska wrote
So does anyone have an idea how I can attach an alist to a grob so that
an engraver can retrieve it?
Is it for example possible to add an arbitrary property to a grob?

Hi Urs, I've had good luck creating custom grob properties, which sounds
like what you're looking for. Here's how I do it, with some example custom
properties that I use:

%% CUSTOM GROB PROPERTIES
%% I use "cn-" to keep my functions separate from standard
%% LilyPond functions (like a poor man's namespace).

% function from "scm/define-grob-properties.scm" (modified)
#(define (cn-define-grob-property symbol type?)
(set-object-property! symbol 'backend-type? type?)
(set-object-property! symbol 'backend-doc "custom grob property")
symbol)

#(cn-define-grob-property 'cn-is-clairnote-staff boolean?)

#(cn-define-grob-property 'cn-vscale-staff number?)

Once they are defined I can use the custom properties with any grob (e.g.
StaffSymbol):

\override StaffSymbol.cn-is-clairnote-staff = ##t
\override StaffSymbol.cn-vscale-staff = #1.2

I suppose for an alist you would just use list? as the type predicate (or
maybe there's one for alists?).

Cheers,
-Paul