Re: Understanding Lilypond

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Understanding Lilypond
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:31:59 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska wrote
> Of course, but when you are searching for solutions, approaches or even
> tutorials on "Scheme" you'll get a bunch of different resources, some for
> Racket, some for MIT Scheme, some for guile-1.8, some for guile-2.0 and so
> on. While often there is something to the solution that you can use for
> the problem at hand often the suggestions don't work in LilyPond - and you
> don't have a clue why.

For learning Scheme itself I found myself just using the GUILE manuals, and
this has worked well for me.  They are terse but comprehensive and you know
it's the same type of Scheme used in LilyPond.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs.html

There's an "all-in-one-page" version of these manuals which is easy to
search using your browser's search-in-page feature.  That's how I usually
look for something I'm trying to understand, when reading an LSR snippet,
etc.

For a more friendly tutorial-style walk-through of Scheme to familiarize
yourself with it in general... I like this series of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byofGyW2L10

But I agree that the LilyPond-Scheme interfaces are more obscure and could
use more documentation.  For this I've learned most from examples from the
LSR (that were similar to what I was trying to do).  One of the problems is
that what you need to know varies greatly with what you want to do.  Are you
overriding grob properties?  Are you writing a custom engraver?  Are you
altering contexts (their properties or sets of engravers)?  Are you altering
the musical input before it gets very far?  Those are each different ways of
intervening, at different points, in different ways, that one would use for
different purposes.

Hmmm... It would be interesting and maybe helpful to develop such a typology
of common techniques.  What have I left out above?

(Also, my sense is that LilyPond may or may not have the kind of systematic
consistency that some are looking for?)

Cheers,
-Paul