Re: Printing titles at a consistent size

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Printing titles at a consistent size
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 21:38:14 +0000

On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 12:40 -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > I am getting a bizarre result: the titles
> > in the score are as specified in my version of bookTitleMarkup; but
> > although the parts have the correct font-sizes, both vertical spacing of
> > the lines and horizontal spacing of individual letters is abnormal, and
> > is in proportion to the staff-size set.
>
> I don’t think (though am not 100% positive) that you can use both
>
>     #(set-global-staff-size 16)
>
> and
>
>     #(set-global-staff-size 20)
>
> in the same file, and expect it to behave rationally.
>
> n.b. I have different files entirely for my score and parts, because they
> almost always have such drastically different geometries, spacing parameters,
> etc.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem to behave rationally!  I have tried all
sorts of permutations and positioning of set-global-staff-size and
bookTitleMarkup, and nothing I have tried works as I wish.

This seems strange, because the Notation Reference says "To set the
staff size globally for all scores in a file (or in a book block, to be
precise), use set-global-staff-size."  This seems to imply that
different global-staff-sizes can be used for different book blocks.

This seemed to work perfectly: I found that set-global-staff-size only
seems to work outside a book block, so I placed it immediately before
the start of the relevant books.  And, until I started started trying to
sort the titles out, it seemed to do exactly what I wanted it to.

Since the problem with the titles arose, I have also tried using
layout-set-staff-size and changing the font size of the music.  But this
still leaves the spacing of the staves unchanged as well as the
font-size of text marks.

It seems perfectly normal to me to want smaller staves for the score and
larger ones for the parts that actually have to be read by players, yet
to have the titles appearing the same on both.  Is there really no
straightforward way of achieving this in Lilypond?

(I'm sure I never used to have this kind of difficulty in my days of
using "Score"!)

David