Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:05:45 +0600

Am 2015-01-19 um 09:44 schrieb Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

> Hi all,
>
>> I had been surprised not to find a template for the “lead sheets” I’ve been
>> making.
>
> Yes!
>
> Let’s start making a list of the “big picture” targets:
>    piano solo
>    instrument solo/part
>    orchestra score
>    choir, a cappella
>    choir plus piano
>    piano + voice, art song
>    piano + voice + guitar chords, popular
>    chamber score (2-4 players)
>    piano chamber score with cue staves
>    pipe organ solo
>    lead sheet
>
> Other obvious ones?

I most often use lead sheet (one or two voices, lyrics and guitar chords, more
stanzas below) or the same for choir (i.e. 4 voices, guitar chords, additional
stanzas).

I also prepared a template for rounds - while they fit easily into a general
lead sheet for printing, they need a bit more work for multi-voice MIDI output.
But I didn’t use it often enough to be content with it yet.

I can provide my templates and include file, they serve me rather well, but I
don’t think they will fit some majority, and are a mixture of different kinds
of settings that you’ll better decouple:
- spacing
- fonts
- header
- "hide everything that I don’t need/like" (no indent of first line, no measure
numbering, no page numbers)
- chord display (e.g. lowercase letters for minor chords, no symbol for maj7)
- MIDI setup (instrument, volume, stereo settings)
- shortcuts for some common tweaks (e.g. chords in braces, smaller or cross
note heads...)

My templates contain a lot of commented lines with commands/tweaks that I
sometimes use, so that I don’t need to look them up again. That might fit
templates in Frescobaldi, but isn’t suitable for stylesheets that you just
include without looking at them.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle