Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:55:09 +0100

> ... I don't see any
> reason why a standard set of these can't be included in LilyPond itself
> for the user to access, but maybe that's more for something like
> Frescobaldi.

I'm inclined to second this.

> ... but to be able to open an
> actual file with a lot of the structure already created, where a user
> can then customize as necessary, I would think, could be very useful,
> especially to newcomers.

I think, especially to newcomers, customizing (making changes to) complex
templates may be a step too far.

In an earlier posting I mentioned a set of templates that I've developed
and used for a couple of years. These do not work by changing the template
code, but adding to it. This is much simpler to achieve.

For example:

+---
| \include "templates/SATB.ly"
|
| sopranoMusic = \relative c'' { ... }
| sopranoWords = \lyricmode { ... }
| altoMusic = ... and so on
|
| allMusic = {
|   \new ChoirStaff
|   <<
|     \include "allstaffs.ily"
|   >>
| }
|
| %% Generate the printed score.
| \score {
|   \removeWithTag #'midiOnly \allMusic
|   \layout {
|   }
| }
|
| %% Generate the MIDI.
| \score {
|   \removeWithTag #'scoreOnly \unfoldRepeats \allMusic
|   \midi {
|   }
| }
+---

What voices and what lyrics are included depends on whether the
associated variables (sopranoMusic, sopranoWords, ...) have been
defined.

BTW, I prefer the term "boilerplate" for a template that needs to be
customized.

-- Johan